Malicious SS7 activity and why SMS should never by used for 2FA

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 03:05:17 UTC 2021

One of my main problems with SMS 2FA from a usability standpoint, aside
from SS7 hijacks and security problems, is that it cannot be relied upon
when traveling in many international locations. I have been *so many places*
where there is just about zero chance of my T-Mobile SIM successfully
roaming onto the local network and receiving SMS at my US or Canadian
number successfully.

What am I supposed to do, take the SIM out of my phone, put it in a burner
and give it to a trusted family member in North America, just for the
purpose of receiving SMS 2FA codes (which I then have to call them and get
the code from manually each time), before going somewhere weird?

In the pre covid19 era when people were actually traveling places, imagine
you've had reason to go somewhere weird and need access to a thing (such as
your online banking, perhaps?) protected by SMS 2FA, but you have
absolutely no way of receiving the SMS where you're presently located...

Many of the people designing SMS 2FA systems used by people with
accounts/services in the US 50 states and Canada seem to assume that their
domestic customers will forever remain in a domestic location.