BGP Graceful Restart

lobna gouda lobna_gouda at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 17 19:30:17 UTC 2021

Hello Graham,

I had a chance to analysis this topic GR and GR helper mode( default) for EoR msg and for the LLGR timer afterwards and had e-mail correspondence  with the RFC auther.
I would say based on your environment topology and the type of BGP fault/error. You keep the default mode unless BFD is configured. Even if you donot have GR configured.  There is benefit to help your neigh ( if no BFD) in the restart process based on the type of  peering relation.

Now, to enable GR itself. You have to know what are you doing and why and where in the network it is actually enabled. Still, you don't enable it where BFD is configured.

Brgds,

LG