[EXTERNAL_MESSAGE] RE: OOB management options @ 60 Hudson & 1 Summer

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Apr 16 17:00:23 UTC 2021

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 12:20 PM Mike McGurty <McGurtyM at ae.com> wrote:

> I believe we were recently quoted a price of like $900/month (between
> cross-connect and monthly charge) for 10Mb OpenGear OOB access in a large
> Canadian Data Center.  We passed.  While I don’t disagree, you have to pay
> for these services.  The cost far exceeds the value for what is provided in
> many cases.

I have often been pleasantly surprised by how often I can open a laptop in
a colo, see a list of SSIDs, figure out from the name who runs it, and ask
nicely if I can please attach an AP(/station) and OOB widget to their
network. I've basically always got the response of "Sure, as long as you
are only using it for OOB and don't try route traffic over it, no
worries....". Often the reply also includes a "... and, could we do the
same? You stand up an AP and we'll tunnel OOB through it".

Yes, many colo's frown upon/"ban" Wifi, but what they don't notice doesn't
hurt them... The Internet used to be built on people helping each other out
- let's see if we can recreate that....

--
The computing scientist’s main challenge is not to get confused by the
complexities of his own making.