OOB management options @ 60 Hudson & 1 Summer

Phil Lavin phil.lavin at vonage.com
Fri Apr 16 12:51:22 UTC 2021

> On 15 Apr 2021, at 23:14, Matthew Crocker <matthew at corp.crocker.com> wrote:
>
> I’m in DR space @ 60 Hudson and the Markeley MMR @ 1 Summer
>
> I’m surprised OOB bandwidth isn’t a feature for colocation providers.

In --dayJob we were a customer of 1 Summer. OOB was provided by Markley in the form of a couple of L3 circuits on SMF with some static IPs. I don’t recall the exact commercial relationship as I wasn’t in the company at the time it was negotiated but it was effectively supplied free of charge with the rack space. Cross-connects at 1 Summer are so damn expensive it’s impractical to take a feed from anybody else. That said, if you’re in the MMR then you probably have a lot more flexibility.

In other DCs we tended to either sub-lease rack space from a colo provider, as they could provide a feed from their adjacent network racks for very little cost, or we found a friendly network in the same suite to either take a cheap feed from or swap bandwidth with.

LTE reception in the majority of DCs is awful so I was never willing to trust it to work when needed.