Texas ERCOT power shortages (again) April 13

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Apr 14 07:09:51 UTC 2021

On 4/14/21 07:44, Yang Yu wrote:

> a watch that has been cancelled, not an emergency
> http://www.ercot.com/services/comm/mkt_notices/opsmessages/2021/04
>
> Apr 13 2021 19:22:55 CST
> Physical Responsive Capability < 2500 MW: ERCOT has cancelled the
> following notice: ERCOT is issuing a Watch due to Physical Responsive
> Capability being below 2500 MW.
> Watch
> Cancelled
>

> there was no supply shortage in day ahead market (not a generation
> capacity shortage)
> http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/html/20210413_dam_spp
>
> day-ahead forecast peak was ~2800 MW lower than current-day forecast,
> as a result actual load exceeded current-day HSL (High Sustained
> Limit). The  gap peaked 340MW at 4pm
> http://www.ercot.com/content/cdr/html/loadForecastVsActualPreviousDay.html
> https://imgur.com/a/6MW5qU4 (screenshot)
>
> ancillary services (10 minute responsive reserve service, 30 minute
> non-spin) were deployed to meet higher than forecast demand and worked
> as expected
>
> reserve never dropped under 2300MW which would have triggered an
> emergency (EEA-1)
>
> emergency response service (additional generation/load resources
> reserved for emergencies) wasn't deployed
> http://www.ercot.com/services/programs/load/eils

Pity, I can't access ERCOT's web site (I believe others had the same
issue last time). They say I need to show a business reason why access
should be granted. I can't be asked.

There appears to be some discrepancy between what ERCOT are publishing
and what the media are sharing. Wouldn't be the first time.

But considering it's all over the place, no smoke without fire.

Mark.