wow, lots of akamai

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Apr 6 05:23:49 UTC 2021

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021, Jean St-Laurent via NANOG wrote:

> What happened is that it would create a kind of internal DDoS and they would
> all timed out and give a weird error message. Something very useful like
> Error Code 0x8098808 Please call our support line at this phone number.

If only there was a way to address the Thundering Herd problem before the
cloud. :)

> This simple change to add 3 lines of code to add a random artificial boot
> penalty of few seconds, completely solve the problem.

Bingo.  Now, the trick is to catch this before it causes an self-DDoS.

This is a problem that has been recognised for decades and this is
unfortunately a good example of how operational experience is still not being
distributed properly.  Too many managers think that operational work is obvious
and just a result of common sense.  It isn't.

Cheers,

Rob