wow, lots of akamai

Matt Erculiani merculiani at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 20:29:04 UTC 2021

Patrick,

> First, to be blunt, if you really think Akamai nodes are “sitting idle
for weeks” before CoD comes out with a new game,
> you are clearly confused.

"Idle" in the sense that when you look at a graph of traffic before and
after a large push such as this makes the rest of the week's traffic look
like a horizontal line at the bottom, admittedly poor word choice, yes, but
far from "confused" as to what CDNs do under relatively normal
circumstances. Otherwise very valid points you've raised.

Tom,

> Akamai, and other CDNs, do not **generate** traffic ; they serve the
requests generated by users.

A user sends a few megabytes of request and receives 50 gigs of reply. They
aren't DDoSing the network, but they're amplifying a single 50 gig copy
they receive from the mothership and turning it into likely tens of
terabytes of traffic.
Yes, that's a CDN's job, but that volume of legitimate traffic and the very
tiny window with which it is transmitted is likely to be a burden for even
the largest residential ISPs.

-Matt

--
Matt Erculiani