Gaming Consoles and IPv4

Daniel Sterling sterling.daniel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 18:41:53 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 12:47 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> Games want to go peer-to-peer.

That was true up until about 2012.

As Martijn Schmidt noted, Activison contracts out to multiple managed
hosting companies to provide servers across the globe. If you launch
any recent call of duty game and hit "multiplayer"  , your system will
be looking for a managed server host to connect to.

>From 2013 and on, all the call of duty games are
managed-server-host-only for general multiplayer. You have to go well
out of your way to do P2P FPS gaming recently -- at least with CoD.
not sure about other games.

> The real question IMHO is why are game console companies so stupid about IPv6?

Just a guess, but I imagine since they can't count on users having v6,
their hosts have to support v4 and they don't bother making them
dual-stack.