NANOG SPAM (was Re: Just got this apparently fake NANOG invoice - Looks phishy)

Bryan Fields Bryan at bryanfields.net
Tue Sep 22 01:03:48 UTC 2020

On 9/21/20 7:28 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> Can we please send this stuff to the admins and not the whole list?

Both the list admin account in the headers and the geeks at nanog.org is
monitored and responded to.  If you don't get a reply, you all have my email too.

What's happening here is a subscription comes in from a valid email bot using
gmail or $BIGHOST (google doesn't give af) and that doesn't send email.  The
list posters are then spammed from third party address(es).

It's frankly hard to track down as only posters get the spams, not the whole list.

That said, the geeks team knows what to look for to kill this when it happens.
 Forward the entire email including _FULL_HEADERS_ to geeks at nanog.org.  We
will kill it and ban them from the list.

Thanks,
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice