Network Gear Seismic Tolerances

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Wed Sep 16 01:46:01 UTC 2020

On Tue Sep 15, 2020 at 05:59:28PM -0700, Crist Clark wrote:
> But now there are people with the idea that seismic isolation is the
> technology we need for all of our electronics, down to network gear in
> IDRs. I am trying to find any real information about this, but Google-fu is
> not producing results for me. I asked some of our vendor sales people, they
> said they'd get back, but never did. I don't know if shake tolerances is
> something published for your typical data center and campus network gear.

It's a standard spec many vendors will provide, an example from
random(ish) selected device -

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3650-series-switches/data_sheet-c78-729449.html#Specifications

Vibration Operating: 0.41Grms from 3 to 500Hz with spectral break
points of 0.0005 G2/Hz at 10Hz and 200Hz 5dB /octave roll off at each end.

brandon