SRv6

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Sep 15 17:05:04 UTC 2020

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 at 20:00, <aaron1 at gvtc.com> wrote:

> I'm still learning, but, It does seem interesting that the IP layer (v6) can now support vpn's without mpls.  So one less layer of encapsulation seems cool.  Don't get me wrong, I love all that mpls has done for us and offers, but, seems that SRx6 (x=v or m) is able to do it.  Seems that the end to end label challenges with unified mpls, and all the csc and vpn type a,b,c might be better done with an IPv6 stack of headers and SIDs.

You just move the encapsulation from in-order to inside-ip making
everything harder for SW and much harder for HW, the simplicity is a
lie.

Ultimately it is very simple, we need tunneling, then the question is
how much does it cost to look up those tunnel headers and how much
space they take on the wire (relevant for overspeed), everything else
is noise.

--
  ++ytti