SRv6

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Sep 15 09:53:07 UTC 2020

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 at 12:15, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:

> yep, and you're not alone - the complexity level is pretty high, right
> from the control plane to the hardware.
>
> It's not clear that the modest net gain in functionality is worth it.

Many people are buying hook, line and sinker on the narrative 'it is
just IP, nothing scary and complex like MPLS'. I think SRv6 is an
abomination, it is complex SW, and very complex HW, because it exists.
We pay the premium to add HW support for it.
For use cases it has, MPLSoUDP would do the same, fast, and it would
actually pass unmanaged IP domains, unlike SRv6, since many people
filter EH at edges.

--
  ++ytti