IP addresses on subnet edge (/24)

Robert L Mathews lists at tigertech.com
Tue Sep 15 00:13:28 UTC 2020

On 9/14/20 2:25 PM, Andrey Khomyakov wrote:
> TL;DR I suspect there are middle boxes that don't like IPs ending in
> .255. Anyone seen that?

Yes. We'd every so often get random complaints that "my friend can't
reach my website but I can", etc., with not enough detail to track it
down. The problem would disappear when we moved it to another IP address.

Because of this, we stopped allocating customer websites on .0 and .255
IP addresses about 10 years ago, instead using them for internal /
controlled access purposes where we could investigate any problems.
(Which never occur. <shrug>)

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies, http://www.tigertech.net/