[External] Re: BGP Community - AS0 is de-facto "no-export-to" marker - Any ASN reserved to "export-only-to"?'

Hunter Fuller hf0002+nanog at uah.edu
Fri Sep 11 18:58:00 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 11:05 AM Mark Tinka via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
>> Circling back to earlier where I said there are almost 70k ASNs in use on the public Internet. Most of those operators don't have complex configurations. I'd be surprised if less than half of them had anything more than the most minimal default route configuration.
> I don't know. If they are here, they can chime in.

Hey Mark, I am here. At 10364 we have 7 network people, 3 of whom have
an understanding of BGP deeper than surface level. We have 3 peers and
2 transit providers total.

When we go to implement external-facing BGP policy, the #1 concern is
"What are most people doing?". When we turn up a session with a peer
or provider (which we will be doing much more frequently in the near
future), it would be really wonderful if they could say "We support
RFCXXXX-style communities" and we would know what that means. And if
RFCXXXX exists then we will implement it when it's needed, just like
we do no-export. I don't spend all day on BGP and so I like to defer
to people who have learned from the "school of hard knocks" where
possible.

The last thing we want to do is to have a nonstandard or
difficult-to-understand policy or configuration, because there are
only 3 total people who could possibly understand it, and all of us
have many, many other job responsibilities so we basically have to
"page it back in" every time we go to look at it. The ideal situation
is that we can google "RFCXXXX-compliant config" and get something
that helps us get in line with best practices as smoothly as possible.

--
Hunter Fuller (they)
Router Jockey

Office of Information Technology