sr - spring - what's the deal with 2 names

Jeff Tantsura jefftant.ietf at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 08:40:30 UTC 2020

SR could be instantiated with 2 data planes, MPLS and IPv6  - SR-MPLS and SRv6 respectively.
MPLS data  plane could be instantiated over either IPv4 or IPv6 (similarly to LDP6), MPLSoUDP->SRoUDP allows  transport of SR-MPLS over IP/UDP(RFC8663) and could be used to build innovative, end2end architectures, e.g.  draft-bookham-rtgwg-nfix-arch.
There is SFC related work, draft-ietf-spring-nsh-sr.

And there’s whole SRv6 thingy...

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Cheers,
Jeff