BGP Community - AS0 is de-facto "no-export-to" marker - Any ASN reserved to "export-only-to"?'

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Tue Sep 8 18:09:52 UTC 2020

On 8/Sep/20 18:41, Robert Raszuk wrote:

> I don't think this is the ask here.
>
> Today NO_EXPORT takes no parameters. I think it would be of benefit to
> all to be able to signal NO_EXPORT TO ASN_X in a common (std) way
> across all of my peers connected to ASN_X. Moreover policy on all
> vendors could understand it too without you worrying to match
> YOUR_STRING and translate into some local policy.
>
> That is by no means taking away anything you have at your fingertips
> .. it just adds an option to talk common policy language.

This already happens today, but mostly in a commercial relationship
(customer and provider).

While not technically impossible, I struggle to see operators opening up
their networks to peers they hardly personally (or commercially) know
with such a feature, custom or standardized.

I suppose the bigger question is - can we trust each other, as peers,
with such access to each other's networks?

Mark.