Project/Tool to deploy and maintain Edge Servers (VMs) remotely

JP froztbyte at froztbyte.net
Fri Sep 4 11:08:35 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 07:52:07AM -0300, Douglas Fischer wrote:
> I'm looking for some tool to work as a Comand and Control of several remote
> nodes.
>
> The idea is to have many-many nodes of Virtual Machines running on every
> ASN voluntarily to deploy some services spread everywhere we can.
>

> Something like a Call-Home, that allows the headquarter to track operation,
> health state, deploy commands.
> (Re-reading this phrase, it could sound like a newbie
>  hacker trying to create his own Mirai. haha...
>  It's not the case... I'm not on the dark side of the force.)
>

> I was thinking in use something like reverse ssh and ansible.
> But I thought that I'm probably reinventing part of the wheel.
>
> I want to believe that there already some projects that would put-me some
> steps further on this project.
>

> Could anyone give-me some-tip?

Saltstack and Puppet typically fill this niche, although some folks have
used Chef in a similar fashion.

I usually advocate Saltstack for this. Broad offering with CM,
orchestration, C&C control bus, and more available. Ansible scales (in
fleet management as well as codebase complexity) quite poorly, so don't
waste time on that.

Contact me off-list if you want to chat more about this.

-J