Centurylink having a bad morning?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Sep 2 16:02:02 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 12:00 AM Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 11:53 PM Alain Hebert <ahebert at pubnix.net> wrote:
> >
> >     As a coincidence...  I was *thinking* of moving a 90TB SAN (with mechanical's) to another rack that way...  skateboard, long fibers and long power cords =D
> >

> well, what you REALLY need is one of these:
>   https://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/hotplug_field_kit_product/

Yeah, no... actually, hell no!

That setup scares me, and I'm surprised that it can be sold at all,
even with many warning labels and disclaimers...
After the first time I saw it (I suspect also due to Chris!) I tried
doing something similar -- I cut the ends off a power cord, attached
alligator clips and moved a lamp from one outlet to another -- this
was all on the same circuit (no UPS, no difference in potential, etc)
and so it doesn't need anything to switch between supplies. I checked
with a multimeter before making the connections (to triple check) that
I had live and neutral correct, had an in-circuit GFCI, and was
wearing rubber gloves. It *worked*, but having a plug with live,
exposed pins is not something I want to repeat....

On a related note - my wife once spent much time trying to explain to
one of her clients why they cannot just plug the input of their power
strip into the output of the same powerstrip, and get free
'lectricity... "But power comes out ot the socket!!!" , "Well, yes,
but it has to get into the powerstrip" , "Yah! That's why I plug the
plug into it..."... I think that eventually she just demonstrated
(again!) that it doesn't work, and then muttered something about
"Magic"...

> and 2-3 UPS... swap to the UPS, then just roll the stack over, plug to
> utility and done. (minus network transfer)

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf