Centurylink having a bad morning?

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Sep 2 11:49:16 UTC 2020

Shawn L via NANOG wrote on 02/09/2020 12:15:
> We once moved a 3u server 30 miles between data centers this way.
> Plug redundant psu into a ups and 2 people carried it out and put
> them in a vehicle.

hopefully none of these server moves that people have been talking about
involved spinning disks.  If they did, kit damage is one of the likely
outcomes - you seriously do not want to bump active spindles:

www.google.com/search?q=disk+platter+damage&tbm=isch

SSDs are a different story. In that case it's just a bit odd as to why
you wouldn't want to power down a system to physically move it - in the
sense that if your service delivery model can't withstand periodic
maintenance and loss of availability of individual components,
rethinking the model might be productive.

Nick