Apple Catalina Appears to Introduce Massive Jitter - SOLVED!

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Sat Oct 31 07:59:30 UTC 2020

On 10/31/20 01:53, J. Hellenthal via NANOG wrote:

> Heya ! Doug!
>
> Yeah I wouldn’t put this on BT either. On the other hand it seems that whether the scheduler is newreno or cubic that this situation persists pasts my previous suggestions. Seems tho that when you put strain on an upload that the jitter gets considerably worse... 90m out of a 100m link it starts to get to 1000+ms

I noticed this too... when I had the issue, uploads were severely
impacted (hence my problems pushing files to Youtube).

However, I also noticed the same problem if I am stressing my 100Mbps
FTTH link pushing a 24GB file to Youtube, as a matter of course. So it
would make sense that the high jitter caused by Bluetooth, in my case,
affects uploads more because the wi-fi and Bluetooth chips on the laptop
are aggressively scanning the environment, which would seem like a Tx
direction to me.

Mark.