bgp dampening and anycast networks (particularly cloudflare)

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Fri Oct 30 17:59:03 UTC 2020

Hi all, was curious if anyone has found it necessary to alter their route dampening rules related to anycast networks, and Cloudflare especially?  I’ve got a customer whose target web server has been going intermittently inaccessible from a very geographically distant Cloudflare location (AU), while no reports of issues from anywhere closer to the US.  I’m seeing a bunch of their /24’s dampened on my side in several locations, and they appear to be networks that favor or are specific to AU, so I’m thinking that’s the issue.  I’m going to whitelist their ASN, but perhaps I need to work on the policy to be more tolerant of flaps compared to years past with the increase in anycast use?

Thanks,

David