Apple Catalina Appears to Introduce Massive Jitter

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Thu Oct 29 22:06:50 UTC 2020

Sorry--accidental premature send.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 12:54 PM Brielle <bruns at 2mbit.com> wrote:

> Updates are from same link as above, and there's new builds based on
> their new OS that integrates a bunch of separate controllers if you
> don't mind beta...

With most companies I wouldn't mind.
But with UniFi, Alpha is Beta, and Beta is launched into production.

> > I have a UDM Pro that's useless because the WAN port seems to have a
> > manufacturing defect.
>
> Its actually a software bug - I had it too on releases around 1.8.0.
> It's actually fixed in 1.8.2-5 and later.

That's what I saw originally too.  It kept it sitting on the shelf for
months.
It's fixed in their beta software, but not on one of my appliances.

> One thing I will note - I've had only one device out of hundreds go bad
> in the last 10 years of using their products.  Usually, when you have
> lots of failing hardware 'for some reason', its a good idea to look into
> the reason 'why?'.  Could be bad grounds, could be dirty power...

Their switches and WAPs are pretty solid for me.  I have about 150 of each
deployed with only 2 or 3 failures.

I've had electricians check power in locations where things died and they
find no issues.  Plus the sites use double-conversion UPS units, so I
highly doubt it's power issues.

-A