Apple Catalina Appears to Introduce Massive Jitter

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Thu Oct 29 19:42:32 UTC 2020

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 12:22 PM Peter Beckman <beckman at angryox.com> wrote:

> I'll take all of your Unifi gear, PM me for an address. :-)

I'd send it your way in a heartbeat, but you wouldn't get much use out of
it.
I have an old CloudKey that mysteriously doesn't seem to be getting updates
anymore.
I have an old CloudKey Gen2 Plus that hasn't received updates in about a
year but the HDD died 8 months in.
I have a UDM Pro that's useless because the WAN port seems to have a
manufacturing defect.
I have a 4 old UVC-G3 cameras that died at about 13 months (not eligible
for warranty repair)
I have 3 UVC-G3-Flex cameras that have bad SD cards that I fortunately
bought from a vendor instead of UniFi directly and they just said "here are
replacements, don't bother shipping that crap back--toss them".
I have a US-24-250 and a US-48-500 switch that have dead power supplies.
One was DOA, the other died about 3 months in.  UniFi won't fix it, and I'm
not going to pay for shipping labels to fix their mistakes.  (I paid for a
working switch, and I got a dead switch--why should I pay more to get what
I ordered?)
I have a dead VIEWPORT and two that 'stutter' badly when displaying 4
cameras and they reboot several times per hour.
I have a partially melted UA-HUB.

Fortunately I switched to a vendor in the last 6 months that charges about
5% less than the list price and they actually replace stuff at no cost.
Dealing with Ubiquity directly is a nightmare.

There are some quirky things about Unifi that can be annoying, but it is
> mostly around common stuff like running a DNS Caching server on the
> Security Gateway or force-pushing a DDNS update.

Quirky things:  the lack of customer service, the lack of communication
with customers, the buggy software, releasing hardware to production that
is completely unusable for 6 months (UDM Pro), etc...

Anyways, not to get too down on them, their wireless gear and switches are
pretty wonderful.  I've never had a WAP die on me, and only a small handful
of switches...but the cost is hard to beat.
There has been talk in the forums about various Apple gear having problems,
and I think a recent update (possibly still in beta) appears to have fixed
it.  I don't own any Apple gear, so I can't confirm.

-A