Apple Catalina Appears to Introduce Massive Jitter

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Thu Oct 29 16:05:32 UTC 2020

On the latest Catalina 10.15.7 from a MacBook Air (early 2014) via WiFi
to Google Wifi Mesh router (only a single unit network):

Over 2.4Ghz through 3 interior walls:
--- 192.168.86.1 ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.440/15.078/213.538/30.541 ms

Over 5Ghz through 1 door:
--- 192.168.86.1 ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.557/24.614/137.233/39.015 ms

This is a real world test with several iPhones, 2.4GHz WiFi only
cameras, and an iPad being used for zoom (remote school) while running
these tests. If you were not aware, on a Mac you can hold the Option key
while clicking on the WiFi icon to see more options as well as more
information about your current WiFi connection, including the realtime
Tx rate, channel, and when your Mac is searching for new networks (mine
does this every few seconds, it seems).

 From an experience perspective, all applications seem to work fine for
us. Including uploading to YouTube (a regular event as my spouse is a
teacher) and Zoom/Teams/FaceTime/your teleconference app of choice (used
by all of us).

--B