Apple Catalina Appears to Introduce Massive Jitter

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.com
Thu Oct 29 13:23:46 UTC 2020

On 10/29/20 15:04, Cory Sell wrote:

> Might be worth disabling each AP to see if there's one out there
> having an issue playing nice with the MacBook. Also try different
> combinations of two APs working together. It's possible the MacBook is
> flip flopping because the power levels are fighting each other.

Tested all that, as well as dropping Tx power levels on each of the AP's
to Low so that there isn't any power coming from any other AP (despite
being quite far, already).

And to confirm, when the laptop locks into an AP, it doesn't try to join
another one. When in range, power is very good (between -37dB and
-52dB). When I walk away, that AP becomes too far (as bad as -80dB), but
the next one close by is far better (same good values as before) and
laptop connects and sticks to that.

Again, only impacts Catalina. No other Apple device, or the Windows PC
that is on the same WLAN.

> Does the Mac have this issue at your local coffee shop or another
> establishment with Wi-Fi? You can try to rule out the AirPort card in
> the Mac itself.

Never tried, I generally work from home. If I'm out, it's faster to
tether to my 4G service rather than any public wi-fi.

Mark.