plea for comcast/sprint handoff debug help

Lukas Tribus lukas at ltri.eu
Wed Oct 28 17:11:30 UTC 2020

Hello,

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 16:58, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> tl;dr: diagnosed by comcast.  see our short paper to be presented at imc
>        tomorrow https://archive.psg.com/200927.imc-rp.pdf
>
> lesson: route origin relying party software may cause as much damage as
>         it ameliorates

There is a myth that ROV is inherently fail-safe (it isn't if your
production routers have stale VRP's) which leads to the assumption
that proper monitoring is neglectable.

I'm working on a shell script using rtrdump to detect stale RTR
servers (based on serial changes and the actual data). Of course this
would never detect partial failures that affect only some child-CAs,
but it does detect a hung RTR server (or a standalone RTR server where
the validator validates no more).

lukas