cheap MPLS router recommendations

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue Oct 27 17:19:36 UTC 2020

> Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke at gmail.com>
> Sent: Monday, October 26, 2020 6:52 PM
>
> If we're talking about whitebox router and ipifusion, what we're really talking
> about is vyatta/vyOS and the linux foundation DANOS stuff on an ordinary x86-
> 64 server that has a weird shape.
>
> https://www.ipinfusion.com/commercial-version-of-danos-product-page/
>
> https://www.danosproject.org/
>
> In which case it really comes down to how comfortable you are with the
> feature sets of the individual daemons contained within Vyatta/VyOS derived
> products (FRR, etc), and then your trust level in the hardware. Typically
> something such as a Taiwanese industrial/embedded platform manufacturer
> such as Lanner:
>
> http://www.lannerinc.com/products/network-appliances/x86-rackmount-
> network-appliances

Yes I agree and I have been looking at Lanner (NCA-2510, NCA-2512)  -and I'll be thankful if I could be pointed towards other companies "producing funny looking servers" for comparison.
I've been also looking at the whole, a bit confusing, ecosystem of DANOS/Vytta/VyOS and their capabilities through my PE requirement optics (i.e. MPLS L3VPN, RSVP-TE/SR-TE & fast reroute, NETCONF-YANG) -which these NOS-es seem to have very little to no support for.

> I guess the point I'm trying to make above is that **if** you're confident in
> both the SW and HW, you can disaggregate your choice of software
> (vyatta/vyos/DANOS etc) from your own choice of hardware to best fit your
> needs, rather than purchasing it together as a package.

I agree, however I need this whole SW to HW mapping and all associated pain of interworking and operational support to be absorbed and nicely packaged by a vendor.
On that note, can Lanner fix me up with some DANOS/Vytta/VyOS on their NCA-2510 or NCA-2512 please?

Or in more general terms, are there folks out there that specialize in providing support for NOS X, Y, Z  with HW X, Y, Z -in any combination?
-so that I could just pick NOS X with HW Y from their portfolio based on my project requirements and get similar support I'd get from a "standard" vendor?

adam