Linux router network cards

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 00:30:03 UTC 2020

If building a lower end/low cost router this is absolutely a consideration.
In single socket regular ATX form factor, and products in the price range
of $165 for a motherboard and $250-400 price range for a CPU.

Comparing the PCI-E lanes available on an Intel Core i7 series to something
AMD zen/zen2 based (Ryzen), the AMD has greatly more. Some of the Intel
single socket core i5/i7 products have just enough PCI-E lanes for their
own onboard gigabit NIC and one PCI-E 3.0 x16 GPU for gaming purposes.

Would absolutely be a consideration if trying to build something with 8 to
12 10GbE interfaces capable of bursty traffic, but not flows and traffic
levels that would require line rate on all ports simultaneously.