Linux router network cards

Jared Geiger jared at compuwizz.net
Fri Oct 23 04:29:34 UTC 2020

I use DANOS with Intel XL710 10G NICs in DPDK mode for linux based routing.

If you're doing routing protocols, allocate 2 CPU cores to the control
plane and then a CPU core per 10G/1G interface for the dataplane, plus an
extra core for good measure. So for a 4 x 10G router taking in full routes,
2 cores for control plane, 5 cores for the dataplane. Those cores should be
Intel Xeon E5-2600v3/4 or newer and faster the clocks, the better.

Similar CPU core allocations if you choose TNSR.