Vint Cerf & Interplanetary Internet

scott weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Oct 22 03:07:24 UTC 2020

*From:* NANOG <nanog-bounces+ops.lists=gmail.com at nanog.org> on behalf of
Rod Beck <rod.beck at unitedcablecompany.com>
> https://www.quantamagazine.org/vint-cerfs-plan-for-building-an-internet-in-space-20201021/

On 10/21/20 2:27 PM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

Right. This means we are going to catch a spaceship for a future nanog /
have
interplanetary governance federation debates with space aliens from
Andromeda,
and we will finally run out of v6 and ipv9 will rule the roost while
there’s a
substantial aftermarket + hijack scene going on for the last remaining
v6 blocks.

More like IP to Nokia's new cell network on the moon:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/oct/20/talking-on-the-moon-nasa-and-nokia-to-install-4g-on-lunar-surface
(Everyone on the moon will want to have access to LOL cats!)

Or... using DTN (https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dtn/about) to reach
Mars and other
planets by being relayed through communications relay satellites similar
to the
Mars Telecommunication Orbiter (canceled),  Mars Odyssey or Mars
Reconnaissance Orbiter spacecraft.

Or... IP to robots visiting other non-planet objects in the solar system
like
comets/asteroids:
https://spacenews.com/osiris-rex-touches-down-on-asteroid
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47293317

Or... <insert something I haven't though of here>

The IPI idea has been around for a long time now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interplanetary_Internet

The main question is will NANOG On The Road meet on the moon?  I missed
the only Hawaii one, so maybe I could make the moon one!

scott