Linux router network cards

Philip Loenneker Philip.Loenneker at tasmanet.com.au
Wed Oct 21 04:37:25 UTC 2020

Hi Micah,

Take a look at the Mellanox ConnectX 5 series of cards. They handle DPDK, PVRDMA (basically SR-IOV that allows live migration between hosts), and can even process packets within the NIC for some models. They did a fantastic presentation at AusNOG 2019 which showed off a lot of the features. We tried some out with Vmware and could get 20Gbps throughput (limited by the 2x 10G NICs we had configured) to a VM running Linux with DPDK+VPP.

The slidedeck for the presentation is here:
https://www.ausnog.net/sites/default/files/ausnog-2019/presentations/1.9_Rhod_Brown_AusNOG2019.pdf

It's heavily targeting virtualised workloads but some of the feature sets apply to bare-metal uses too.

Regards,
Philip Loenneker | Senior Network Engineer | TasmaNet