RFC 2468

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Oct 21 03:18:45 UTC 2020

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Rodney Joffe" <rjoffe at centergate.com>

> It is especially fitting whenever the NANOG/ARIN joint meetings occur in the
> same week that we “remember IANA”.
>
> As time has gone on, fewer and fewer of us actually know who J. Postel is - that
> name that appears at the end of so many RFC’s we refer to every day. The same
> person who also guided the management of names and numbers in the “early” days
> of this grand experiment we’re still struggling to get “right”.
>
> Today (Friday, October 16) is 22 years since Jon Postel passed away. I won’t
> start to list the rest of the pioneers we’ve lost since then - its obviously
> getting longer and longer. But I think its worth pointing “newcomers" at Vint’s
> RFC2468 (https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2468.txt) as the starting point for them
> (you) to understand the importance of Jon’s legacy as a moral compass to help
> guide some of the decisions being made or ignored during this week. And
> obviously other weeks and decisions that follow.

I didn't know Jon personally, but I was still proud to have gotten an RFC
approved by him -- RFC 2100, "The Naming Of Hosts"... which is now immortalized
on my Florida license plate, after I lost LINUX, which I had for 30 years...

And for reasons I was never clear on, he actually *reserved* the number,
releasing several >2100 RFCs in the days before 1 April that year.  :-)

Still appreciate him.

Cheers,
-- jra