Virginia voter registration down due to cable cut

Don Gould don at bowenvale.co.nz
Tue Oct 20 12:34:45 UTC 2020

Actually we count lots of things, though we keep civic separate from state (we did that last year).We delayed our election by 4 weeks because of covid.Voting is open for a number of weeks.  About 72% of voters had voted before the last day.Voting is on paper.Voters don't have to register before voting (though that is prefered).Count started on the last day and reporting started at about 7.30pm (polls closed at 7pm)Counting was mostly done by midnight.This term we also have two referendums but they won't report back until the end of October.We don't have queues because we have so many places you can vote.https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300124486/election-2020-christchurch-east-voting-booth-locationsThere were 3 locations within 750m of my house.Sorry to hear about your fibre...https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/122715051/return-of-the-cyberattackers-nzx-website-goes-offline-againI don't think a fibre cut would take down anything to serious in New Zealand....  but it does depend on what you consider important. ;)DD-- Don Gould5 Cargill PlaceRichmondChristchurch, New ZealandMobile/Telegram: + 64 21 114 0699www.bowenvale.co.nz
-------- Original message --------From: Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> Date: 17/10/20  11:29 am  (GMT+12:00) To: ahebert at pubnix.net Cc: nanog at nanog.org Subject: Re: Virginia voter registration down due to cable cut It’s not the population. It’s the number of positions/things you are voting for.   New Zealand doesn’t vote for sheriffs, judges, mayors etc. AFAIK so there is much less to count.  More population should lead to more polling stations. These need to be collated but that is a relatively quick job compared to counting the votes. Timezone spread also makes the night longer.  If you have a result within 2 hours of the Hawaiian polls closing you are on par. -- Mark AndrewsOn 17 Oct 2020, at 07:49, Alain Hebert <ahebert at pubnix.net> wrote:

        Hi,

        Beside being:

            . a country with 1/10th of the population;

            . centralized voting rules;

            . <yadi yada>...

        PS: And there is a lot in that <yadi yada> about the
    (publicly) unreal amount of insanity being pulled by the GOP  this
    year.

    -----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert at pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443

    On 2020-10-16 02:36, Sean Donelan