Cogent Layer 2

Ryan Hamel ryan at rkhtech.org
Thu Oct 15 07:28:26 UTC 2020

Saku,

My experience with multiple carriers is that reroutes happen in under a minute but rarely happen, I also have redundant backup circuits to another datacenter, so no traffic is truly lost. If an outage lasts longer than 5 minutes, or it's flapping very frequently, then I call the carrier. Last mile carriers install CPE equipment at the sites, which makes BFD a requirement to account for the fiber uplink on it going down, or an issue upstream.
As for security vulnerabilities, none can be leveraged if they are using internal IPs, and if not, a quick ACL can drop BFD traffic from unknown sources the same way BGP sessions are filtered.
In Juniper speak, the ACL would look like:
(under policy-options)
prefix-list bgp_hosts {
apply-path "protocols bgp group <*> neighbor <*>";
}

(under firewall family inet(6) filter mgmt_acl)
term allow_bfd {
from {
protocol udp;
destination-port [ 3784 3785 4784 ];