FCC FUSF charges clarification

Robert L Mathews lists at tigertech.com
Wed Oct 14 23:58:06 UTC 2020

On 10/14/20 2:14 PM, Nuno Vieira via NANOG wrote:

> Company Z charges company A on top of agreed services:

It may be just a coincidence, but I had the same problem with a company
that begins with "Z" (and ends with "ayo").

The quote I got was for a certain exact dollar amount with some tiny
boilerplate-looking text that says they may pass on any taxes. Since
I've used several providers in the same buildings who have never
mentioned any taxes, I ignored it.

When the actual bill came, it was 8% higher due to absurd things like
"property tax surcharge". This is simply a fee they charge to cover
their own property taxes. The other extras were similar.

These are not taxes they are required to charge you separately. They're
just adding money to the bill to get you to contribute towards *their*
taxes. I complained long and hard about it, but they didn't care.

--
Robert L Mathews