FCC FUSF charges clarification

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Oct 14 21:46:02 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 2:16 PM Nuno Vieira via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
> Need some help/insight from you guys on this:
>
> Company A is an incorporated in Europe, where it main business is,
> however it has some pops within USA.

If you're complying with all the laws then you've also filed the
various documents to do business in the localities where you have the
pops, putting you on the hook for the relevant taxes. Don't worry
about this too much; hand it to your lawyer.

> for IP Transit (other charges representing roughly 6%)

This is a common bad behavior, like a "fuel surcharge" on an airline
ticket. I try to avoid the companies that pull these shenanigans but
it's not always possible.

> for the wavelenght (a lot of charges, such as the ones described below)
>
> - FCC Regulatory Fee (wireline)
> - Fed Universal Service Fund
> - CA High Cost Fund A
> - CA Teleconnect Fund
> - CA TRS
> - CASF
> - Universal Lifeline Telephone Service Charge
> - Utility Users Tax

THIS is an error. Most of these charges are only supposed to apply to
voice telephony services. I've seen the ILECs (classic telephone
companies) apply these charges by default, argue with you and then
give you a form to sign where you state unequivocally that you're not
doing a telephone service. You should challenge it.

> So... my question IS:   Is an European company (or whatsoever foreign
> wholesale company) WITHOUT ANY customers in USA liable to pay those
> taxes to the carrier ?

Anywhere you have a physical presence you owe taxes. The correct
question is: which ones?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--