Virginia voter registration down due to cable cut

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Oct 14 13:49:15 UTC 2020

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 5:15 PM Christopher Morrow
<morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 2:41 PM Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 13 Oct 2020, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> > > <cough>spof</cough>
> > >
> > > the vita folk have a history of 'not really understanding large scale
> > > compute/network operations' :(
> >
> > Reportedly, the VITA data center and Virginia voter registration system is
> > back up.
> >
> > According to VITA, a Verizon fiber was struck during a roadside utilities
> > construction project near Route 10 in Chester, VA.  As network engineers
> > know, fiber cuts happen all the time due to construction.  Malicious cuts
> > and sabatoge occur, but are rare and usually obvious. Absent clear and
> > compelling evidence, assume normal stupid reasons for outages.
> >

> sorry I meant that: 1) yes clearly it's still the middle of
> roadwork/backhoe season, 2) i'm surprised that a single path failure
> for their production datacenter was enough to take the system offline.
> 'spof' there meant: "Wow, a single point of failure in their outside
> plant?"

... and there is now a lawsuit about this:
Groups file lawsuit after Virginia state websites shut down for hours
on last day of voter registration

"An accidentally severed fiber-optic cable in Virginia effectively
shut down most of the state’s online voter registration on its last
day Tuesday, prompting voter advocates to file a lawsuit in federal
court seeking an extension of the deadline that they argue thousands
of voters missed because of the disruption."...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/va-politics/virginia-state-websites-shut-down/2020/10/13/8e4443d8-0d5d-11eb-b1e8-16b59b92b36d_story.html

> > There are various long-term structural problems with election
> > administration across 10,000+ jurisdictions in the United States.  A lot
> > of duct-tape and heroic work needed by election administrators to keep
> > things running.
> >

> > Election administration in Australia, Norway and Luxembourg tend to score
> > the best with 10 out of 10 according to international election observers.
> >
> > Election administration in the United States of American tends to score
> > around 7 or 8. There will be problems and delays. Not perfect,
> > embarrassing and USA should do better. But still a full and free election.

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf