Ingress filtering on transits, peers, and IX ports

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Wed Oct 14 02:49:19 UTC 2020

Once upon a time, Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke at gmail.com> said:
> Considering that one can run an instance of an anycasted recursive
> nameserver, under heavy load for a very large number of clients, on a $600
> 1U server these days... I wonder what exactly the threat model is.

A customer forwarded one of these notices to us - looked like it's about
recursive DNS cache poisoning.  It's been a while since I looked
closely, but I thought modern recursive DNS software was pretty
resistant to that, and anyway, the real answer to that is DNSSEC.

I could be wrong, but getting a scary-sounding OMG SECURITY ALERT email
from some group I've never heard of (and haven't AFAIK engaged the
community about their "new" attack, scans, or notices)... seems more
like shameless self promotion.

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>