Residential GPON last mile for network engineers (Telus AS852 and others)

Daniel Dent nanog-list at contactdaniel.net
Wed Oct 14 02:34:16 UTC 2020

On 2020-10-13 6:38 p.m., Eric Kuhnke wrote:

> Any insights as to what the configuration of the Telus AS852 GPON
> network looks would be helpful. Or other observations in general on
> technically-oriented persons who are doing similar with other ILECs.

I have heard rumors that Telus's GPON deployment is a little bit
different depending on when the location was connected to GPON, although
I think they've been working towards having a single unified
provisioning system. I'm unclear if there are user-impacting
differences, I haven't noticed any.

I deal with several sites that are connected to Telus's consumer GPON
network. Here are three samples:

1. Telus GPON is terminated to a Telus-provided media converter that
provides a copper gigabit ethernet switch. The Telus-supported
deployment involves some magic wifi gateway that speaks both DSL and
Ethernet for WAN connectivity. Removing the magic box and using standard
DHCP from my own networking equipment works fine. This site was amongst
Telus's very first GPON deployments.

2. Telus GPON is terminated to a magic GPON SFP. The Telus-supported
deployment involves an SFP being provided to CPE they deploy which has
an SFP port (in addition to the DSL & Ethernet WAN uplink ports which
are also present on that CPE). That SFP instead goes into my own
equipment, and standard DHCP works fine. I specifically requested an
SFP-based deployment when I ordered the service, and again from the
technician that did the install. While the tech was confused why I would
care, he was happy to oblige.

3. For a site that was deployed after I was familiar with how it went, I
had my equipment at that site pre-configured to do DHCP on my SFP port
prior to the technician arriving. The technician was quite happy to dash
off to his next appointment when after plugging in the SFP I was able to
confirm that everything was working. At that site I don't have any
Telus-owned CPE other than their SFP, the technician had reason to
provide any.

I have heard rumours that if you want their "Optik TV" service that it
simply requires standard-but-undocumented VLAN tagging, but I've never
had reason to care to find out.

Telus happily provides >1 IPv4 over DHCP to multiple devices on the
interface, and their equipment also happily allocates a /56 in IPv6
land. While there's lot to be unhappy about with Telus, they do a very
good job with some of the important basics.

Regards,

Daniel Dent

https://www.danieldent.com/