Virginia voter registration down due to cable cut

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Oct 14 02:29:24 UTC 2020

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 17:11:53 -0400, Christopher Morrow said:

> sorry I meant that: 1) yes clearly it's still the middle of
> roadwork/backhoe season, 2) i'm surprised that a single path failure
> for their production datacenter was enough to take the system offline.
> 'spof' there meant: "Wow, a single point of failure in their outside
> plant?"

Given that back in 2010, they suffered a *disastrous* outage when
a storage array failed and took multiple agencies with it....

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2515423/northrop-grumman-takes-blame-for-va--it-services-outage.html

my reaction was more like
<voice="Gomer Pyle">
Surprise, surprise, surprise...
</voice>

That one started when one storage array had a failed memory card, and
the backup array encountered issues as well.  There were a number of state
agencies and universities that had fought for increased self-governance, and
a *huge* part of that was "not be forced to outsource their internal IT to VITA",
and those units were very glad they had won that fight....