Residential GPON last mile for network engineers (Telus AS852 and others)

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 01:56:29 UTC 2020

Very interesting. Looks like the intention is to bypass the ONT entirely
and use a GPON ONT SFP in ones own choice of small home router. If the ISP
wants to do some weird TR069 provisioning or other stuff it could be seen
as interfering with the proper management of their network if you remove
the CPE entirely.

In an ideal world, personally I would be totally fine with keeping a telco
provided small ONT configured as a dumb L2 bridge, with one optical
interface single strand (SC/APC) going to the ISP, and 1000BaseT to my own
router.