Passive Wave Primer

Dave Cohen craetdave at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 21:00:53 UTC 2020

From the perspective of a large carrier, spectrum is an operational nightmare. At a former $dayjob it was an “offering” in the sense that we had deployed it, told customers we offered it but wouldn’t actually deploy it anymore.

Logistically there are a lot of potential points of failure once you got beyond the distance threshold where mid-line amps would be required, and as alluded to here, no big carrier would want to take on risk to the network that they’re not in control of. There’s not much sense in doing it in shorter-distance scenarios when most folks needing enough bandwidth to even have the conversation are going to be able to run their own optical systems across dark fiber at that distance anyway. The customers that we talked to about it were almost exclusively other carriers that wanted to use the muxes they had in inventory (aka not the same platform as the photonic layer) without the burden of deploying/managing a lot of amps but had no issue taking OTN or even LAN PHY in bulk when push came to shove.

FWIW, and I understand these terms have become fungible over time, the scenario above is spectrum from the perspective of the photonic layer owner and alien wave from the perspective of the customer. As the photonic layer owner, alien wave would generally be thought of as 1) accepting a handoff as a WDM-specific channel of light, whether on fixed or tunable optics, not a standard 1310/1550, and, typically but not necessarily, 2) accepting a signal that is framed as OTN, not LAN PHY or WAN PHY.

For the record, the OP’s query about passive wave would suggest PON/GPON or similar low-power CWDM for short-haul use, and not spectrum or alien wave, both of which are decidedly non-passive.

Dave Cohen
craetdave at gmail.com