Juniper configuration recommendations/BCP

aaron1 at gvtc.com aaron1 at gvtc.com
Thu Oct 8 16:11:30 UTC 2020

I just remembered another one I use the heck out of….

Show whateverwhatever | refresh 1

Love it

Or refresh 30 (whatever time you want)

It’s so nice to be able to take hands off keyboard and know exactly when something changes in that show command…. Piping to “refresh” and a timer will redo that command over and over again

Another one is the ability to stop and restart processes, which wasn’t as possibly in Classic IOS (perhaps more in XE and was possible in XR), but I was pleased with the ability to do this in JunOS

There have been a few occasions when the JTAC has had me restart a jdhcpd process or fxp0 process or whatever during bug-hits as a quick way of freeing up the pegged CPU or leaked out memory, until a JunOS upgrade perm fix could be accomplished.

Oh, show log interactive – really cool, it’s like having your own local aaa (tacacs) accounting log… right there on the box a built in log file showing every command that was typed be everyone!

Forgive me if I continue sending emails as I recall nice things I’ve learned over the last few years during my conversion from cisco to juniper

IOS is nice

IOS-XE is nicer (I guess, lol)

IOX-XR is great

JunOS is greater I think – seems that there is just more you can do in JunOS than XR… and JunOS capabilities are across many of Junipers products… XR is a bit limited to certain platforms (although growing with more NCS products, first 5x00, not 540)

-Aaron