Cable Company Hotspots

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Sun Nov 22 21:39:13 UTC 2020

Once upon a time, J. Hellenthal <jhellenthal at dataix.net> said:
> Sad that in some cases the extra WiFi usage results in higher electric bills for the consumer.... and cannot be opted out of.

That's the worst argument against this.  Of course you can opt out;
don't use the cable company's box.  And adding an extra SSID to an
already-operating access point (and additional traffic when it used) is
going to be difficult to even measure as a power utilization difference.
If it increased power by an average of one watt (which I really doubt
it'd be that high), that's less than 7 cents per month where I live.

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>