Cable Company Hotspots

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Nov 22 07:43:33 UTC 2020

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Rod Beck" <rod.beck at unitedcablecompany.com>

> Hey Gang,
>
> How do the cable companies generally deliver this service? A friend insists it
> piggybacks off the WIFI radios of existing cable company subscribers. In other
> words, the cable company WIFI router in a flat is providing both a private link
> for the flat's subscriber, but also a public hotspot service.
>
> I concede it is possible, but I am skeptical that the high quality of hotspot
> service we get here in Budapest could be achieved that way.

Spectrum, formerly Bright House, and I don't think they did it when they were
still Road Runner/TWC, does it by splitting the RF into a separate Surfboard and
a Ruckus AP; all they borrow from the business customer in question is a couple
watts of AC and a square foot of backboard -- if you have one; they'll put the
AP wherever is high enough and clear enough.

The tradeoff is you get to use all the other ones.

Cheers,
-- jra