Disney+ Geolocation (again)

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Sat Nov 21 18:46:04 UTC 2020

On 11/21/20 08:48, Mike Hammett wrote:

> I think this is another example of the disconnect between technical
> teams and support teams at consumer-facing organizations.
> Consumer-facing support often can't find their way out of a wet paper
> bag on consumer-related issues, much less on network issues.
>
> I think the community's impression so far is that the advised avenues
> are insufficient to actually solve anything. Since this message, there
> seems to have been more than one attempt to resolve these types of
> problems via that link without success. The support site linked to also
> has rather sparse information regarding how to solve these types of issues.

There's nothing to indicate the support site is anything other than for
subscription holding end users only. Phrases that I would think to type
in the search box like "ISP" and "geolocation" return nothing. The error
73 page just says you are on a VPN or your ISP has a location problem,
neither of which is useful information to me as an ISP.

Calling in got me nowhere. The service rep couldn't open a ticket or
even request escalation without a subscriber account. Even if I
personally had one, I'm not going to mention it when I'm calling as an
ISP on behalf of all of my customers and potential future customers
because of the real danger of having an exception applied to that
account rather than addressing the issue as a whole. They told me I
should email back to the person who gave me the phone contact info and
ask to speak to a supervisor, which I did, and never received a reply.

I was able to eventually get through on live chat successfully after
answering its automated questions in a way that would lead it to believe
i was a customer but could not help me through its auto response means
and get what I presume is a live person. However, even though I got
lucky with this method someone else reported they just got dead ended
with "what's an ISP" when they tried chat.

So the lesson here is to just keep trying the end user chat and phone
number until you get lucky.

~Seth