A letter from the CEO

Matt Erculiani merculiani at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 01:35:00 UTC 2020

> How does one /accidentally/ harvest email addresses and /accidentally/
> add them to a Mailchimp list and /accidentally/ send emails with full
> header personalization?

All mass-mail systems I'm aware of offer to scrape your own contacts when
you first sign up. Anyone who has ever started or replied to a Nanog thread
is in everyone else's contact list, including the list address itself.

I don't think the list was scraped, Ben's contacts were. One implies
malice, the other, a lack of foresight.

Ben is active enough here to know one would be crucified and/or humiliated
for scraping the list, both were the case here.

-Matt

--
Matt Erculiani
ERCUL-ARIN