Telia Not Withdrawing v6 Routes

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Wed Nov 18 15:18:50 UTC 2020

> I also put a lot of blame on C, it was a terrific language when
> compiling had to be fast. Basically macro assembler. Now the utility
> of being 'close to HW' is gone, as the CPU does so much C compiler has
> no control over, it's not really even executing the same code
> as-written anymore. MSFT estimated >70% of their bugs are related to
> memory safety. We could accomplish significant improvements in
> software quality if we'd ditch C and allow the computer to do more
> formal correctness checks at compile time and design languages which
> lend towards this.

Agree 1000%. I think this is greatly compounded by current generations of
programmers who come out of school without having had much experience with
low level memory management, having mostly worked in more modern languages
that handle such things in a much better way. Moving from college Python to
mature C code with a hellscape of pointers must be a pretty jarring
transition. :)