Strange connectivity issue Frontier EVPL

will at loopfree.net will at loopfree.net
Fri Nov 6 17:54:53 UTC 2020

I have similar Frontier NNI's out of One Wilshire, some 1gig some 10.

While I haven't seen the half-IP-reachable issue you describe I have spent
days and days chasing performance issues on them. I finally got gig
line-rate capable iperf3 boxes at both ends and see distinct differences
in single-TCP stream performance vs running 3-4 streams, and the difference
disappears like clockwork at "unbusy hours" (1am-7am) every day.

After running hundreds of tests and adjusting my buffering and RED on both
ends of these circuits I just have come to the conclusion that they have
some LAGs somewhere "in the middle" that get busy during the day, and
they don't care if I have to run 4 TCP streams to max a 1gig circuit.

It makes browser-based speedtests look really bad but otherwise the
circuits are usable. We're trying to replace the worst ones with
wavelength services.

-Will Orton