Mellanox / Cumulus

Bryan Holloway bryan at shout.net
Mon Nov 2 17:52:11 UTC 2020

Curious to hear if the community has had any real-world experience using
Mellanox/Cumulus (nVidia) for L2/L3 things outside of the datacenter.

Like other vendors, notably Arista, they seem to be trying to move out
of the datacenter and target SPs and the layer 3 market. Personally, I
think Arista has worked out most of the kinks over the last few years,
and we've been happy with their L3 solutions (e.g., the 7280s)

While Mellanox's chipset is intriguing, I get a sense of feature-itis
from their marketing. (BGP, OSPF, NAT, we do it all etc.) No IS-IS
support, I'm told ...

Anybody using these in production in an SP environment? And if so, any
opinions, good or bad?

Feel free to reach out off-list if you prefer. Thank you,

		- bryan